8/7/08

Onesie explosion

Me: Holy over-consumption, Nola! You sure do have a lot of onesies!

BabyLady: Um, mom? Would that be because you just bought fifteen of them?

Me: Yeah, but, Nola! You can't pass up a pack of five onesies for $8!

BabyLady: I'll go along with that. But three packs?

Me: Er, well, one pack was the same 0-3 month onesies I just packed away. It's so hard to say goodbye to those cute little outfits. So I guess I was kind of trying to revisit your newborn days with that purchase.

BabyLady: And the other two packs?

Me: Jeez, what is this, the Inquisition? All right, Nola, it's totally true that I didn't need to get those. Or all the Zutano. Or all the Tea Collection stuff. But I'd been slobbering over those designer clothes for months and yet I could never justify spending so much money on a piece of baby clothing that you'd only wear for three months. But if said baby clothing is 70% off...

BabyLady: Yeah, I'm on to you, mommy. It's hard to resist. But weren't you just talking to daddy about how cheap clothing is probably being made by child slaves in China? At $1.60 a piece, I doubt this onesie I'm wearing is feeding a family of four.

Me: Wait. You're a baby -- you can't remember previous conversations!

BabyLady: On the Interwebs I can. And stop evading the question.

Me: Whatever. I might have said that. But you just look so cute in that orange-stripe onesie and the pear-print overalls! For myself, I just don't care too much about clothing these days...

BabyLady: Obviously.

Me: Jeez, already with the smart mouth. Anyway, I guess I do idealize you a bit, with your super-sweet smile and all. I still think happy clothing will actually make you happy.

BabyLady: Mommy, I'm so disappointed. I'm pretty sure one day you're going to tell me repeatedly that happiness comes from actions, not consumerist fantasies.

Me: When you're older and your clothes start getting more expensive, you bet I will!

BabyLady: On the bright side, along with my other outfits you only need to do laundry once every month. That's not so bad.

Me: Sigh... unfortunately, your dad and I would run out of underwear in about one week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read the title, I thought your entry was going to be about "explosions" IN Nola's onesies. Thank goodness that wasn't the case.
-Alison

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious.