1/16/09

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

My Grandma S died last night. She was 98 years old, and ornery all the way up til the end. At least, that's how I imagine it. Actually, she died quietly in her sleep after a short illness. I wasn't there (and don't know how I could have been) and I regret it a little.

We did get to see her on our East Coast Odyssey last August-September. She got to meet Nola, and afterward apparently talked her up to whomever would listen. She kept several pictures of Nola on her nightstand. When we were there, Oprah was blaring on the TV and Grandma was criticizing Tina Turner and Cher. We took a few pictures that Grandma was NOT happy with, then, having nothing left to say, we left.

It was a short visit, but it meant a lot to me, and I think to Grandma, for Nola to meet her. They both have a feisty spirit. They look the same; I look like my Grandma, and Nola looks like me. And there is something private and contrary in each of us. Nola is blessed with her father's love of laughter and silliness, which leavens our dour Scandinavian-ness a bit. So I hope her life will be a little more Harold Ramis and a little less Ingmar Bergman.

My Grandma isn't getting a funeral; she wanted to be cremated and that's it. So I decided to put on some Iz and say goodbye in my own way, just thinking of her. While I was thinking, Nola was squiggling on the floor, smiling and giggling, and I thought about how Grandma lives on in her, and how wonderful my baby girl is, and how wonderful life is, and this is what Grandma made. I picked Nola up and hugged her tight, and while I was feeling all warm and fuzzy, Nola knocked over the glass of milk sitting beside me.

Milk ran all over the couch, onto my fancy pillow, and spread across the seat of my pants and into my underwear. Everything had to be changed and washed, and I thought maybe Grandma was playing a joke on me, for being so foolish and sentimental.

Sorry, Grandma, but I'll never forget you, I will always love you, and you'll just have to deal with my warm, fuzzy vibes for a little while yet. XOXOXO Grandma S, 7/4/1910-1/15/2008.

2 comments:

hadjare said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It was nice that you and got a last chance (however brief) for your daughter to meet her. I would have loved for my grandmother to have met Morella...but that'll never happen.

I also wanted to say HI! And I'm glad you delurked, so that I could add you to my google reader! I can't wait to get to know you and Nola more. How do you know Kate?

hadjare said...

Of COURSE!!!! I know who you are! I went back to look at the picture of your daughter and thought "man she looks familar" -- she really takes after you! Wow. That is so refreshing to see.

Congratulations again on having such a beautiful daughter. I remember stalking Kate and Eric's photo page waiting for them to post pictures of newborn Nola but they never did. For shame. :P

Are you staying at home now? Oh and I think a congrats is order for you and Charlie getting hitched too, right? What an amazing year the last year has been for you.